Over 100 educators and students of Universiti Malaya’s English Linguistics, English Literature and TESL departments combine forces to present the first “UM English Carnival” in collaboration with media group Go International Group Dotcom.
8 June 2023, Kuala Lumpur – The Universiti Malaya’s ‘UM English Carnival’ bridges the physical and meta worlds through English language education and will take place at Dewan Tunku Canselor at its Kuala Lumpur campus on Saturday, 10 and Sunday, 11 June 2023.
Organised by a committee of over 100 enthusiastic students guided by educators from Universiti Malaya and a private sector collaborator, Go International Group Dotcom Sdn Bhd, the theme “Bridging Worlds” discusses future job opportunities and industrial demands for English majors. English language skills are essential for personal growth and career success in a globalised world. As a common language for diverse communities, English enables effective communication in both face-to-face and online settings. Through the UM English Carnival, the organisers aim to showcase the unique offerings from the three English departments at UM and to inspire prospective students to pursue these courses. The organising committee of students have curated an elaborate list of programmes to be enjoyed by all.
- UMx English Carnival Talks themed, “Bridging Worlds – Future job opportunities and industrial demands for English majors” will feature:
- Dr. Raslan Rashid, Director-Strategic Human Capital Management, Khazanah Nasional, Malaysia’s sovereign wealth fund that aims to deliver sustainable economic and societal values for the nation.
- Ms. Nada Marie, COO/Director of GRADUAN, Malaysia’s Premier Career Platform.
- Ms. Nurin Iman, Internal Communications Protégé, TERAS Teknologi, innovation in transport technology and UM Faculty of Languages and Linguistics alumni.
- English workshops held by experts in the fields of publishing, songwriting, public speaking and acting, mock debates. Workshop facilitators include:
- Ms. Shivani Sivagurunathan, Malaysian author and educator.
- Mr. Bo Amir Iqramaka Currley, Malaysian music producer, artist songwriter and composer arranger.
- Ms. Amina Jindaniof MoOne Academy, recognised by The Excelligent as one of Malaysia’s Best Performing Arts Institute for the Year 2021.
- Public speaking by young children from Ebright Public Speaking Company.
- Award-winning animated short film screening of ‘Walinong Sari’, about a Pahang warrior princess from the kingdom of Inderapura who defied all odds to follow her heart. Film script writer Honey Ahmad will be present. The film also picked up an award for best original soundtrack at the New York International Short Film Festival and best animated short at the Los Angeles International Film Festival, among others.
Entry is free to the general public and Universiti Malaya campus welcomes the general public with open arms to enliven this event! See you there! Publishing, songwriting and acting workshops require registration to secure a spot and cost RM5. Register via Instagram: @UM_EnglishCarnival.
- Event title: University Malaya’s “UM English Carnival”
- Venue: Dewan Tunku Canselor, Universiti Malaya, Lembah Pantai 50603 Kuala Lumpur
- Date: Saturday, 10th and Sunday, 11th June, 2023
- Time: 10.00am – 5.00pm
- Entry: Free to the general public.
- Workshops: Limited spots available, so registration is recommended.
- Register via Instagram: @UM_EnglishCarnival.
Universiti Malaya is Malaysia’s oldest university, as well as the leading public research university situated in Kuala Lumpur. It was founded in 1949 and is the only university in post-independent Malaya. Committing to pushing the boundaries of knowledge and nurturing aspiring leaders, Universiti Malaya also values passion, oneness, integrity, sincerity and empathy.
The Universiti Malaya’s UM English Carnival is an initiative by three departments;
Faculty of Languages and Linguistics
The Faculty of Languages and Linguistics (FLL) was initially set up as a Language Centre in 1972 and was responsible for conducting language courses relevant to the needs of the university. Then in 1996, the Faculty began to offer courses for its undergraduate programme: the Bachelor of Languages and Linguistics. It is home to students eager to learn about different cultures. There are currently nine language specialisations for the Faculty’s bachelor programme: Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish and Tamil. The Faculty celebrates the power of language to connect people and cultures and offers a range of opportunities for students to explore the world and broaden their horizons. Learn more at https://fll.um.edu.my/.
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, established in 1959, is one of the most dynamic in Universiti Malaya and is home to outstanding scholars and students interested in exploring the complex depths and dimensions of humanity and society across space and time. The Faculty is host to a range of academic programs including anthropology and sociology, geography, history, environmental studies, library and information science, English literature, Chinese studies, Indian studies, social justice, international and strategic studies, Southeast Asian studies, East Asian studies, media and communication, and gender studies. Learn more: https://fass.um.edu.my/.
Faculty of Education
The Faculty of Education was founded in 1963, and hosts six departments: Department of Educational Foundations and Humanities, Department of Educational Psychology and Counselling, Department of Educational Management, Planning and Policy, Department of Language and Literacy Education, Department of Mathematics and Science Education, and Department of Curriculum and Instructional Technology. It is home to exemplary students passionate in the field of education to become agents of change in their communities and beyond. Find out more: https://education.um.edu.my/.
In collaboration with Go International Group Dotcom Sdn Bhd
GIG: GoInternationalGroup.com is Asia Pacific’s leading creator and distributor of innovative and impactful content and winner of the TECH Behemoths’ 2022 award-winning company in Malaysia for its Marketing Strategy, Web Design and Web Development services. Working with governments, civil society organisations, non-profit organisations, industry and educational institutions, GIG seeks to create impact in climate change, gender equality, youth empowerment and human rights using the power of the media. Since 2005, GIG: GoInternationalGroup.com has sent over 60 youth to participate in international festivals around the world and was a pioneer in the creation of arts, lifestyle, music & literary events like the Indie Youth Festival, FEYST, Wayang Kata, Youth Festival x Sweden Malaysia Innovation Days, Electronic Sports World Cup Malaysia, Georgetown In-between Arts Festival, Selangor Muzikal Ekstravaganza, GO-11 Rockabola, MyPenang Chap Goh Meh Concert, Global Battle of the Bands, CJ Playground, Move8.org Fitness and International Sports & Fitness Festival.
AsiaFitnessToday.com Universiti Malaya’s “UM English Carnival” opens up its campus to enthusiasts of the English Language is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International license. Quote Source: https://www.asiafitnesstoday.com/universiti-malayas-um-english-carnival-opens-up-its-campus-to-enthusiasts-of-the-english-language